1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

More detail on nose gear preflight needed in POH

Jim Andrews found why my nose gear failed to extend after a flight and the POH should probably be more specific on preflight inspection. The starboard nose gear door was binding enough to cause the actuator to blow its fuse. Just checking that the doors are down and locked is not enough. One needs to release the door latch and make sure the door moves freely enough to not overload the actuator.
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 63 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    This process of lifting the springer forks on either side of the wheel well to ensure free movement of the doors was taught to me by Sean Stamps at Icon on day one. I never noticed the POH did not mention that. He told me it was a common cause of a blown fuse. It forces you to get on your back in the dirt every time you pre-flight but it brings peace of mind to see the doors move properly.
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 63 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I also saw a video on IG today showing someone fueling an Icon A5 without the ground cable installed. We may want to create a nice Video of all the critical dos and don'ts prior to flight. For example, since it takes 30 min. to an hour for water to settle in the fuel, It's much better to refuel after you land so that every pre-flight has settled fuel for the syringe.