1. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 23 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Canadian Search And Rescue Can Now Track Cellphones

Not sure if the US also has this capability.

Canadian Aviator Magazine is reporting that Canadian military search and rescue aircraft are being equipped with devices that can track cellphones carried by pilots and passengers. The equipment used by the Canadian Airborne Sensor for Search and Rescue system detects the cell tower interrogation signals emitted by cellphones. The system has been installed in CC-130H aircraft that are dedicated to search and rescue response. According to a summary released by Canada's Department of National Defence, the system "essentially mimics a cellphone tower to capture location and other information from an operating cellphone." Conversations cannot be monitored. Phones have to be on, with a live battery and not on airplane mode, and once detected it's easy to home in and find the phone.

The gear has been available for several years, but the department did an exhaustive analysis of the privacy concerns that naturally arise from this kind of surveillance ability. Any operating cellphone can be tracked by the system from the air and that prompted a Privacy Impact Assessment under the country's Privacy Act. "Based on the results of the PIA, privacy risks arising from the collection, use, disclosure, and retention of personal information using the CASSAR system are expected to be low," the report said. In exchange, the system will save lives, say military commanders. “With such a vast area [as Canada], an enabling technology like the CASSAR system augments the existing search and rescue capability, reduces search time, and improves outcomes; a positive addition to search and rescue operations,” said Lieutenant-General Steve Boivin of Canadian Joint Operations Command.
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 59 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I just spent 3 months in Canada with the Icon. I flew back to TN yesterday. LOVE the new prop. My interesting experience is how freely the Canadians called my Cell Phone if they had any questions. I do not know if the volumes of flight plans are lower or if they are better staffed but I would get calls asking if I was landing on water (when they did not recognize the arrival coordinates as an airport. They once called me to let me know one of my flight plans had been prematurely closed so they could re-open it. Once, I was 30 minutes landed and had not yet called them so they called to see if I needed my plan closed. Pretty friendly folks.
  3. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 23 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Michel, I’m glad the Canadian controllers took care of you. I’ve flown a lot in Canada and the US. I have to say, that other than in very busy airspace, I’ve found the US controllers to be equally friendly and accommodating. I sometimes wonder just how they do it, considering the accuracy of their instructions. Seems stressful. I doubt I could do that job. Nice that you got to enjoy a Canadian summer, while continuing to fly all year long.