1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 59 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Feeling Nostalgic - Looking for history

Hello everyone,

I often tell people the story of when, in 2012, I was sitting on my deck, staring at the lake and I was reading either a Popular Science or a Popular Mechanic magazine and first saw the Icon. I then subsequently called Tahachappee and ordered an Icon. I think the price was about 154K but I am not sure. Does anyone know which magazine and which issue was the first to announce the aircraft. I think I heard from Suzanne Clavette that Icon was founded in 2005. I would love to have more history to put away for those days when I want to reminisce.

Any info would be great!
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 72 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    It was indeed founded in 2005. I don't know which magazine had the first article. I don't think it was Popular Science or Mechanics. I could be wrong. Until Matthew Gionta (Original VP of Engineering) and Jon Karkow (Lead Aerospace Engineer and Test Pilot) left Scaled Composites to work with Kirk on the aircraft, anything prior to that development wise was terrible. Jon always mentioned that when he first joined they basically started completely over. Matthew and Jon, from an engineering standpoint, made the company happen.

The very original price was $139,000 and it was always listed as an "estimate". Later there was $189K, then $225K then $389K.

Were you an original deposit holder that never converted to a new aircraft? I see you you are the second or third owner of your current one. I started at ICON when they opened Vacaville in 2015 I was there from Aircraft Serial Number 00002 to 00139 (of those 44 of them are in my log book, production test pilots, who worked for me, did the production test flights primarily and have the balance). I had no desire to live in Tehachapi (still don't).
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 59 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    « Were you an original deposit holder that never converted to a new aircraft? I see you you are the second or third owner of your current one. I started at ICON when they opened Vacaville in 2015 I was there from Aircraft Serial Number 00002 to 00139 (of those 44 of them are in my log book, production test pilots, who worked for me, did the production test flights primarily and have the balance). I had no desire to live in Tehachapi (still don't).«

I was a 2K deposit holder and after the 3rd email announcing the 389K price I bailed. I am the second owner of ASN00024 (Founder’s Edition number 3). I visited Tehachapi and met with Kirk in an effort to get him to use our assembly tools and practices but to no avail. That’s a story for another day.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I know in November of 2008 i put in my $5,000 deposit, I believe I was 345 on wait list, They gave me a black Icon Hat at that time with 345? on the back of it, then 10 years later, Aug 2018, I received my plane and my 345 turned into # 19......Still have it today...!!
  5. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 13 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    If you look at ebay, they have old magazines you can get. Just search ICON A5 and you will see them.
  6. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 59 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Quote Original Post View Post
    I know in November of 2008 i put in my $5,000 deposit, I believe I was 345 on wait list, They gave me a black Icon Hat at that time with 345? on the back of it, then 10 years later, Aug 2018, I received my plane and my 345 turned into # 19......Still have it today...!!
    Awesome story David. Did the 5K guarantee you any sales terms?
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    not really, other than I was a place holder...at the time price was approx 135k, and we all know that # kept moving up as production got closer...
  8. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 59 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I bought ASN00024, I heard from an early owner that some folks put enough money down with their production slot that the pricing terms were fixed... I was wondering if you were one of those buyers. The number I heard was that some of the early buyers got an aircraft just over 200K.
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 2 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    no I was not one of those,,,,I don't remember the exact # but after a few back in fourths I think my final # came to approx 359k??,,,,u were before me as i'm 000040