1. Username Protected

Thanked 19 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

BEWARE, check your "Profile Clamp!!"

Folks, on a recent flight in the Adirondacks I unknowingly dumped my oil overboard, and much of it was all over the airplane. (see attached photo) It's a long story, but I am offering the very short story here in hopes of changing our communities pre-flight checks. In our Rotax 912 engine oil tanks, there is what Rotax calls a "Profile Clamp." It is a clamp that holds the top of the oil tank to the rest of the oil tank. Now why does the oil tank come in 2 pieces that needs to be clamped together? Because the oil tank must be opened and cleaned periodically. As it turns out, my Profile Clamp was loose. Because it was loose, oil left the tank. VERY DANGEROUS! (See attached photo of the loose clamp.)

So every time you burp and check your oil, please check the Profile Clamp. Put eyes on it, maybe a finger to see if it is tight. I now went as far to safety wire my closed. (See attached photo.)

Happy Icon flying my friends!
    Attachments Attachments    
  2. Username Protected
    Really Frequent Poster

Thanked 23 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Appreciate the info. Thanks
  3. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 72 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    First Time I have seen that clamp loose or not tightened. Not surprised about the amount of oil everywhere glad you didn't run out of it. Being a "dry sump" oil system if the any of the oil system is opened while the engine is running most of the oil will leave the engine and really really fast. Like 1 min fast or less fast. I know of 2 aircraft that had oil lines loose and have lost all their oil resulting in forced landings and seized engines. The time to almost total oil loss 1 minute, time to engine seizure 4 min. Yes thise engines ran for 3 mins with basically no oil pressure.