1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Fuel Caddy

Does anybody have a 30-40gal fuel caddy they use or recommend? Trying to figure a way to have unleaded fuel available in hanger. I see some on Amazon, but I worry they are crap. It will be awhile until I have unleaded fuel available on my airfield.
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 71 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Pretty sure we used these https://www.redlinestands.com/catalo...l-caddy-p-2022
    We had electric pumps but they would always fail or the battery would be dead. We'd order fuel by the 50 gallon drum transfer it to the caddy to fuel airplanes. Not sure I would say they were worth the money they are charging for them but they were rugged.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 22 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I use two 14-galScepter Marine DuraMax Flo n' Go 14-Gallon Wheeled Fuel Transports from Academy Sports (~$140 each but often on sale). They are light enough to pickup when full and roll them into the back of my Jeep side by side. However I don't like the fact that, because they are plastic, the sides can swell if they are set out in the sun and the rolling wheels then don't roll so well. Longer axle should fix that but I just haven't gotten around to it.

Fill-Rite RD812NH 12V 8 GPM Portable Fuel Transfer Pump for the transfer to the plane with an auto shutoff nozzle.

I did just notice that there is a new model of my fuel caddy out for just over 300 which has a built-in pump. Looks like a winner for just over $300

Name:  fuel.jpg
Views: 2543
Size:  282.5 KB

I'm grounded and retire from my day job tomorrow so fly on down here when they give you a day off from flying "da buss". Gage
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I'll definitely be doing that, you have to show me your hockey stops!
    (Congrats on your successful career! If you have your CFI I could use ya when the school gets going)
  5. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 54 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I have the same one and I had to loosen the axle bolts by about a half turn to get them to let the wheels turn
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 22 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Alas Erich, even though I was AF T-38 instructor I never took the military competency test after separating from the service to transfer it to CFII. Might do it now that I have the time though!
  7. Username Protected

Thanked 3 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I've been using two normal 5-gallon plastic Jerry cans and I may add a third. Refill on the way home with Shell 93 octane unleaded, take the fresh fuel with me to the airport each time. I use a Tera pump (below) to transfer. The engine loves the clean fuel.

[h=1]TERA PUMP 4th Gen TRFA01 Fuel Transfer Pump with Auto-Stop for Overfill Protection (2.9 GPM) Includes 3x Gas Can Adapters, Long Hose, Liquid Transfer Pump for E15, E85, Gas, Diesel[/h]
  8. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Great idea! Thanks!
  9. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    During the five years I have owned my A5, I have been using three of the 5-gallon Surecan plastic containers. Amazon $58.97. I cut an 18-inch piece of hose and attach it to the nozzle, fitted for a leak-free Operation, with the end of the hose inserted into the A5 tank. I set the can on a 12-inch step stool on the seawing when the A5 is on land, or just hold the can by hand if refueling in the water. I like the flexibility of buying gas one two or three containers at a time and carrying them in my trunk. I know that this sounds a bit involved. I find that it works well.
  10. Username Protected

Thanked 4 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Gas cans

Second for this system below. I put 5 gallons in while burping the oil. Simple. I recommend replacing the 5 gallon fuel can caps with these:

https://a.co/d/1RsAfUb

(Also, that 14 gallon caddy with pump previously mentioned is only $119 today on Amazon prime day):

https://a.co/d/jbMUt3A

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Spinner View Post
    I've been using two normal 5-gallon plastic Jerry cans and I may add a third. Refill on the way home with Shell 93 octane unleaded, take the fresh fuel with me to the airport each time. I use a Tera pump (below) to transfer. The engine loves the clean fuel.

[h=1]TERA PUMP 4th Gen TRFA01 Fuel Transfer Pump with Auto-Stop for Overfill Protection (2.9 GPM) Includes 3x Gas Can Adapters, Long Hose, Liquid Transfer Pump for E15, E85, Gas, Diesel[/h]
  11. Username Protected

Thanked 6 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    We've used the Flo-Fast tanks/manual pump/caddy. They are tough. But one thing to consider in this thread is that you need to review your hangar lease. Many have clauses about storing fuel in the hangar, restrictions on fueling while in the hangar, etc.
  12. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Yep, very true!
  13. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 23 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    +1 For this setup. Works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Spinner View Post