1. Username Protected

Thanked 0 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

Angry Time to Complete Annual Inspection?

Curious how long annual inspections are taking for other owners this year? ICON seems to be struggling with the repacks and supplying parts with everything else that's going on there right now. This is my second year in a row that my plane has been down for over 3 months for an annual inspection. Each year has been with a different maintenance shop.
  2. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 49 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Hello Marc,

That is an awful situation. You may want to consider James Andrew for your next annual. He comes to your airport for a reasonable fee with all his tools, jacks, jigs and scales. My annual even with 12+ SBs never took more than a week. My last annual two months ago had Jimmy and a helper and it took 2 days. Your call but I could not be without my ride for that long… The parachutes are a bummer… I wonder how many removed packs had the moisture problem the SB tries to correct. Send me a message if you want Jimmy’s data. He is based in Pensacola, FL.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 22 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Marc - I feel your pain. In the five years that I've owned my A5 I have had two summers already where I was down for several months while a fix was sorted out by Icon for two different issues. Now it appears I will be down for a third summer while I wait for a parachute repack. I have heard nothing new on this issue for weeks while I sit grounded. This WAS to be a great summer of flying for me since I retire in a few days and will have all the time I need.. But now, without a plane - not so much.
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 22 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    ...and just found out it will be at least the end of August until any BRS chute repacks can be done due to QC issues at BRS.

Another summer without an airplane while still having to pay crazy insurance prices monthly ...
  5. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 69 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    You might be able to call and talk with your broker about temporary not in motion insurance due to maintenance grounding. Worth a shot.
  6. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 22 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Excellent idea Bret! Thanks