1. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 46 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot

A question about sleeping outside in the rain

Hello everyone,

I am having a blast flying in the Canadian Laurentian's. Thousands of lakes, many beach-able areas with great places to eat. One BIG change for me if keeping the Icon outdoors. It seems to me that it takes-on A LOT of water when it rains. It’s no biggie to bilge it out but I was wondering if 1. Is it normal to take on almost a gallon of water during rainstorms and 2. Does anyone know where the water enters from. I was thinking the air-intakes and radiator areas. Would love some information.
    Name:  IMG_0214.png
Views: 112
Size:  9.90 MB
    Name:  IMG_0211.png
Views: 116
Size:  8.52 MB
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 69 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    The radiators and engine bay drain to the out side of the plane there are two drain ports in the firewall low points and they connect to drain port on the right side of the tail IIRC, could be left side of the tail though.

my guess is it’s coming in through the canopy seal or in this case not seal. A5 canopy seals were notoriously terrible. Fly in a rain storm you will be quite wet.

there is a chance though that the fire wall drains were cut or disconnected at one point and then not connected. If that is the case it would drain directly into bilge. Same goes for the air water separator duct.
  3. Username Protected
    Star Contributor

Thanked 46 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks Brett, I will take a peek behind the inspection hatch to see.
  4. Username Protected

Thanked 11 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I agree with Bret. Flying through heavy rain I have had multiple towels on and around me as I got soaked from the canopy seal leak. It's like a Jeep, they just leak, period. If you plan to keep it outside I'd recommend a canopy cover to help remedy that as best possible.