Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 12 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, not looking to try, just curious if attempted or not (having an emergency drogue chute like other aircraft have done in testing). The emergency chute is the way to go in that situation indeed.

As for development and testing, it’s very fascinating watching the videos of all you folks did! Such a unique product, Thank you!
  2. Username Protected
    Icon Expert

Thanked 69 times
    Icon Enthusiast
    Sure, The Proof of Concept aircraft (POC) first tests had a rocket fired spin recovery chute mounted to the tail, it was never used. Len Fox was the test pilot on a lot of that testing too as he is pretty much the go to guy for spin testing aircraft. He has done so much unique testing over his career he is held is super high regard amongst the test pilot community.

The initial strategy was to make the aircraft spin recoverable but Jon Karkow thought it could make it spin resistant. He was right, and It was a worthy endeavor.
  3. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 22 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I too am somewhat perplexed by the placement of the new VGs behind the stall strip. I spent waaaay too many hours as an undergrad doing wind tunnel tests back in the days when VGs and stall strips really weren't that common. I was always amazing how such a little thing as a VG could make such a big difference in the boundary layer separation characteristics. But those new angles, along with the stall strip in front, have me scratching my grey hairs! Anybody ever come across their diagram of placement?
  4. Username Protected
    Frequent Poster

Thanked 23 times
    Icon A5 Owner & Pilot
    I would appreciate seeing the template as well. If anyone that’s had them installed wouldn’t mind getting a copy from the installer. This should be documented here for a couple of reasons. 1. As a backup copy for anyone that’s had one or more come off. 2. We are fortunate to have some experts in this forum, that could chime in with their opinions on the placement as well. Especially during a time of uncertainty with the future of the A5.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123